You are here:
MARO KOURI, PHOTOGRAPHY & JOURNALISM
Freelancer photojournalist based in Athens
Photography in Athens (Focus),
Photographic Workshop with Constantine Manos (Magnum) & Ed Kashi (National Geographic), Scopelos, Greece
Workshop at Schools of Fine Arts - Athens, Barcelona, Paris
Oenology in Athens & Barcelona.
Nelson Mandela, Umberto Eko, Queen Rania of Jordan, Archbishop of Sinai Damianos, Emperor Aki - Hito of Japan, Philip Glass, Leonidas Kavakos, Dimitris Sgouros, U2, Iggy Pop, Lou Reed, Marianne Faithful, Tina Turner, Patti Smith, Massive Attack, Tindesticks, Esma Retzepova, Les Arts Sauts, Cirque Eloize, Jesus Christ Superstar, Tap Dogs, Black Theater of Prague, Club Tropicana, Maurice Green, Javier Sotomayor, Antonis Samarakis, Helen Arveler, Lisa Minelli, Omar Sosa, Seacaria Evora, Maryam Radjavi
Αwards - Διακρίσεις :
- She has covered special assignments in China, Japan, Palestine, India, Malaysia, Turkey, Estonia, Slovenia, Croatia, Australia, New Zealand, Spain, Israel, Greece, Italy, U.K., France, Netherlands, Luxemburg, FYROM, Czech Republic, Estonia, Cyprus, Egypt, South Africa, Ethiopia, Bahrain and other countries transferring the human struggle for freedom to her images and texts.
- The first dawn of 2000 found Maro gazing through her lens at the Maori sacred mountain Hikurangi in New Zealand. In 2004 she took unique photographs of Athens flying on the Olympic zeppelin. In 2006 she was the exclusive photojournalist (photographs & interview) at Cesaria Evora’s home in Mindelo, Cape Verde. Recently she has been covering the life of the mentally disturbed, drug-addicts and homeless in Athens.
Photographic articles (images and stories) have been published in numerous international magazines, including:
- Greece: National Geographic, Marie Claire, BΗΜΑgazino, Epsilon, Geo, “K”, Focus
- Italy : D la Republica, Colors (80 countries), Conde Nast Traveler, E Sopratutto,
- U.K : i-d, Highlife(British Airways)
- Spain : La Vanguardia, Grandes Viajes
- U.S.A: Art in America
- Portugal: Flash
She has participated in plenty of social, anti-racist festivals, globally and her work has been exhibited internationally:
She teaches photography as a volunteer to the imprisoned women of Greek Prison of Elaiona, in collaboration with the Hellenic Center KETHEA, and its Therapeutic Program for drug-detoxication through art.
- Barcelona 1995 - 1st Visual Marathon
- Barcelona 1996 - 13th Marathon of Spectacle
- Bic (Spain) 1996 - Museum of Mobile Art
- Thessaloniki 1997 - Cultural Capital of Europe, «Light - Motion - Life»
- Barcelona 1998 - Spring of Photography, «Racism»
- Athens 1999 - Diavasi Cult Center, «Glances at the World»
- Johannesburg 1999- 1st Cultural Month, «Smiles of the World»
- New York 1999 - Mobile Art Museum, «Velocity»
- Rhodes 2000 - 1st Mediterranean Women’s Peace Forum, «Women of the World»
- Athens 2001, National park, 5th Ecofestival
- Zagreb 2001 - “Woman’s room-woman’s view”
- Ancara 2002 - FAM, Turkish and Greek women artists
- Athens 2002 - Coronet Theater “Images in the Dark” from the Prague Black Theater.
- Beirut 2003 - FAM Mediterranean women artists exhibit for Peace
- Ismir 2004 - FAM Turkish and Greek artists
- Athens Olympics 8/2004 - participant at the ‘catch the light’ project that covers buildings with photos.
- Projection of her photographs from Africa, at the“Mama Africa” festival of Athens, and at the festival against the trafficking of African women
- “Landscapes of thought, of the world, of the universe”. A triple exhibition: projections in a different space of the same hall, constituted of Maro’s photographs (world), in conjunction with Elena Polihronatou’s paintings (thought), and astrophysic El. Hatzihristou’s photographs of the universe. EPASKT & Diavasi - Athens 2006
- Athens Hilton 2006-7 The Byzantine restaurant, - Ethnic Photo gallery multi - projections in the frame of ethnic taste & culture festivals
- Photo-projections “Traveling in the Human Joy of the Universe” - Legalization of Cannabis festival - Athens 2007
- February 2010: "WHO WE ARE" - Lightroom gallery at TAF Art Foundation, Athens
“There is an imaginary world behind our everyday reality and I am constantly looking for it. The source of inspiration is the ability to observe the world, the passion for travel and art, and above all the endless love for people. Photography for me is a mental practice, an agent of growth for my soul. After all, we are all helpless against the events’ flow. I hope I can photograph people’s joy, sorrow, loneliness, pain and hunger around the planet”. Maro Kouri
I believe that happiness nourishes the body and sorrow the soul.
Information & Contact
- Address: 14, Laodamantos street, 104 - 44 Athens, GR
- Tel: +30 210 5126290, Mobile: + 30 6977 296831
- Maro Kouri is a regular contributor to Polaris agency and to imlimages agency.
- Website: www.marokouri.com
- Download CV: Click Here